Morristown is named after Gouverneur Morris, one of the signers of the U.S. Constitution and a large landowner in the area. This land tract was one of the original ten towns in the Macomb Grand Purchase in 1787. It was originally called the Haque. The Town is bounded on the North by the St. Lawrence River and on the South by Black Lake; with Chippewa Creek running through the center.
Morristown's claim to fame was established by one of the first incidents in the War of 1812; on July 31, 1812, the first local action in the War of 1812 occurred when the U.S.S. Julia, sailing west from Ogdensburg, met H.M.S. Moira off the Sister Islands opposite Morristown. A three hour battle ensued with little damage and no loss of life.
Settlers continued to arrive in the town and along the shores of Black Lake. At the time of the Civil War, there were sixteen one room schools, eight churches, four cheese factories, three blacksmith shops and five sawmills. Morristown sent 201 soldiers to the Civil War and returning veterans established a Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Post.
Morristown's most famous industry was the manufacture of Dr. Morse's Indian Root Pills, a nineteenth century cure-all. Dr. Morse's Indian Root Pills were produced in Morristown will into the 20th century.